Annalisa Simonella (Director)
Annalisa has been working in the building envelope physics field for over 20 years, providing design support in hundreds of prominent projects.
She studied Building Engineering at the University of Padova and received her Master of Science in 2001. She has worked for the engineering consulting company Arup in London where she lead the Building Envelope Physics team within the Facade Engineering Consulting Group. Prior to Arup she worked for the R&D department of the facade contractor company Permasteelisa in Italy. In the past 5 years she has been working as a co-director in the design engineering company Loud1 Design. She founded an-imo in 2018 to provide building envelope physics services in addition to sustainable and healthy buildings design consultancy.
Annalisa is a LEED Green Associate, and a WELL Accredited Professional.
Annalisa has developed and delivered professional training course on building envelope physics and energy efficient façades for CIBSE, architects and contractors. She has been an occasional lecturer at the Mackintosh School of Architecture (Glasgow School of Art) and other institutions.
- Tropical Fruit Warehouse, Dublin. Commercial complex designed by Henry J Lyons architects. Thermal transmittance and condensation assessment of curtain walls and windows in original warehouse.
- One Crown Place, London. Residential and office tower designed by KPF. Thermal performance consultancy, surface and interstitial condensation assessment of interfaces and horizontal components of the building envelope.
- Minories Hotel, London. First Canopies by Hilton hotel designed by ACME. Thermal transmittance and condensation assessment of facades at technical design stage.
- One Berkeley Street, London. Mixed-use building designed by AHMM. Thermal transmittance and condensation assessment of facades at technical design stage.
- Selfridges Phase 2, London. Refurbishment of department store. Thermal transmittance and condensation assessment of stone-clad facade.
- West Down Campus, University of Winchester. New teaching building designed by Design Engine. Thermal transmittance and condensation assessment of facades at technical design stage.
- Spencer Place, Dublin. Complex including offices and hotel designed by Henry J Lyons. Thermal transmittance and condensation assessment of facades and atrium at technical design stage.
- Chelsea Barracks Phase 4, London. New residential complex designed by Eric Parry Architects. Thermal transmittance and condensation assessment of facades.
- Chelsea Barracks Phases 1, 2 and 3A, London. New residential development, various architects. Thermal transmittance of facades at technical design stage.¹
- Capital Dock, Dublin. Mixed use development designed by Mahony Pike. Thermal analyses of glazed and opaque facades at technical design stage. The analyses included U-value, surface and interstitial condensation assessment.¹
- Curtis Green, London. New Metropolitan Police Headquarters designed by AHMM. Thermal transmittance and condensation assessment of glazing and stone cladding.¹
- Wood Wharf E1/E2, London. New residential tower designed by GRID Architects. Thermal transmittance and condensation assessment of stone-clad wall.¹
- Rathbone Place, London. New residential/commercial building designed by MAKE Architects. Façade thermal performance at design stage.¹
- Guy’s Tower, London. Façade retrofitting for hospital building designed by Penoyre & Prasad. Façade performance advice and assessment including assessment of impact of refurbishment options on energy performance and comfort.²
- Low2No, Helsinki. Low carbon residential development designed by Sauerbruch Hutton. Façade performance advice and assessment.²
- Regent Street Block W4. New office building with partially retained façade designed by AHMM. Façade performance advice including detailed analysis of double skin façade.²
- Guggenheim Museum, Abu Dhabi. Landmark museum designed by Frank Gehry. Façade performance advice and assessment.²
- New Court Rothschild Bank, London. Bank headquarters designed by OMA. Project management and façade performance advice.²
- CMA CGM Headquarters, Marseille. Commercial building designed by Zaha Hadid. Façade performance advice including detailed analysis of double skin façade.²
- BBC Headquarters, Glasgow. Designed by David Chipperfield. Optimisation of double sin façade performance including shading management system.²
- National Library, Singapore. Designed by T.R. Hamzah & Ken Yeang. Daylighting availability and visual comfort assessment for different façade and shading arrangements.³
¹ Projects carried out as Loud1 Design Building Physics.
² Projects carried out while working for Arup.
³ Projects carried out while working for Permasteelisa.
- CIBSE (2015). Environmental Design, CIBSE Guide A, co-author to Chapter 5.
- CIBSE (2014). SLL Lighting Guide 10: Daylighting – a Guide for Designers, CIBSE LG10, co-author to Section 3.
- Simonella, A., Pau, I. (2010). How to Design a Building Envelope to Provide Thermal Comfort and Energy Efficiency Considering Climate Change. Presented at the NCEUB Windsor 2010 conference.
- Simonella, A. (2008). L’impatto dell’involucro edilizio sulla riduzione del consumo energetico. Presented at the Energy Forum Architettura & Edilizia Solare.
- Kragh, M., Simonella, A. (2007). The Missing Correlation between Thermal Insulation and Energy Performance of Office Buildings. Presented at the ICBEST 2007 conference.
- De Bleecker, H., Franceschet, A., Simonella, A, Zobec, M. (2003). Carbon Emissions Calculation for Non-Residential Buildings: Integration of Daylighting Analysis in Dynamic Energy Simulation Software. Presented at the DAME-BC 2003 conference.